[afripv6-discuss] [Lighter Note!] - Proof that IPv6 Enthusiasm is not Religion

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:58:05 SAST 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Mukom Akong T. <mukom.tamon at gmail.com> wrote:
> During the last IPv6 session at the African Internet Summit in Djibouti, a
> gentleman from Korea took to the phone to state that IPv6 has become a
> religion.

I have received similar complaints. There are still a lot of technical
issues with IPv6.

The ipv6 autoconfiguration exposes around 6000 lines of code, which is
a lot of code,
if you compare it to the size of the arp code (approximately 200 lines
of code). The sheer complexity
of IPv6 implementations raises quite a few questions about the
security of IPv6.

IPv6 implementors and spec writers need to think about auditing the
IPv6 specs and codebases. Maybe it's time for KAME 2.0 :-)

> Well, Andrew, Owen and a couple of others in the room were quite nice in
> responding.
>
> All the time I sat there thinking.... and I came to a conclusion: I know for
> sure IPv6 is not a religion and this (that group of enthusiasts) was not an
> IPv6 cult because. The reason I'm sure is that the gentleman was not being
> lynched!
>
> For it the group was indeed a cult, his statements would be considered
> blasphemous and the response in pure religious fashion would have involved
> some combination of pitchforks, fire, linking etc.  :D
>
> Although I admire the courage it takes a lot of courage (or something else)
> to walk into the midst of a religious cult in full session and openly speak
> against their deity.
>
> Keep calm and deploy IPv6 .... Sooner than later.
>
> ./shalom
>
> --
>
> Mukom Akong T.
>
> http://about.me/perfexcellence |  twitter: @perfexcellent

This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.