[afripv6-discuss] Re: [rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:12:52 SAST 2014

> On 13 Jun 2014, at 2:16 PM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, June 13, 2014 11:47:34 AM Mukom Akong T. wrote:
>
> Facebook operates a completely different model from us. They
> can afford to do this because it might not hurt productivity
> as much, or because the engineering teams over there will
> quickly fix it.
>
> In my case, do we turn off customer's IPv4 service so they
> can think about IPv6?

I wasn't suggesting turning it off for customers. In reference to your comment about internal folks not up to speed, I meant turning it off for some brief periods only for that group to as to force them to live in the problem.

> We certainly can't turn off internal users (who have no
> technical inclination and couldn't care less whether their
> e-mail rocked in on IPv4 or motor vehicle).

But for the system admin team or network engineers, you can do it if IPv6 is important. Of course the responsible thing as a manager would be to first provide training to them.

> There is a practical restriction here that can't be solved
> by "teaching lessons".

With my clarifications above, the only restriction is really that someone who runs the show doesn't think it's worth it.