[afripv6-discuss] Re: [rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 13 14:31:04 SAST 2014

On Friday, June 13, 2014 01:12:52 PM Mukom Akong T. wrote:

> I wasn't suggesting turning it off for customers. In
> reference to your comment about internal folks not up to
> speed, I meant turning it off for some brief periods
> only for that group to as to force them to live in the
> problem.

It's a shared (and simple) network.

Disabling IPv4 for one disables it for all. This is less
than ideal.

> But for the system admin team or network engineers, you
> can do it if IPv6 is important.

As above.

> Of course the
> responsible thing as a manager would be to first provide
> training to them.

The better solution is to achieve the result without causing
unnecessary pain.

The network is there for the users, first and foremost. It's
not a tool you use to market your skill or power :-).

That said, in networking conferences around the world, it is
not uncommon to find an IPv6-only SSID. If a user dares live
without IPv4, it is an opt-in service. This is a palatable
option, but alas, is optional.

> With my clarifications above, the only restriction is
> really that someone who runs the show doesn't think it's
> worth it.

You're mistaking prudence for laziness.

Mark.