[afripv6-discuss] Re: [rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 13 12:16:25 SAST 2014

On Friday, June 13, 2014 11:47:34 AM Mukom Akong T. wrote:

> Here's an idea once that Facebook uses internally. How
> about for deprive your dev guys, or sys-admin or network
> guys of an IPv4 every once in a while?
>
> You could slow-start (every 3 days of the month) then
> slowly do every last week etc. For that period, you
> ensure their working environment has NO IPv4. At the
> very least, people will
>
> a) Pay attention to this IPv6 thing
> b) Notice and hopefully document what is not working
> c) The list of issues from (b) is already work cut out
> and defined. The process of solving those issues is how
> the organisation builds IPv6 competence operationally.

Facebook operates a completely different model from us. They
can afford to do this because it might not hurt productivity
as much, or because the engineering teams over there will
quickly fix it.

In my case, do we turn off customer's IPv4 service so they
can think about IPv6?

We certainly can't turn off internal users (who have no
technical inclination and couldn't care less whether their
e-mail rocked in on IPv4 or motor vehicle).

There is a practical restriction here that can't be solved
by "teaching lessons".

Mark.