[afripv6-discuss] What have you done for IPv6 lately, since the 1st of January, 2013?

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:54:31 SAST 2013

Hi SM,

Some comments on this:

> There is content available over IPv6 now.  The IPv6 adoption rate for
South Africa is 0.46%.  The University of the Free State mentioned that it
switched to IPv6 last year.  www.ufs.ac.za is IPv4 only though.
www.tenet.ac.za is IPv4 only.  whois.co.za is IPv4 only.

www.ufs.ac.za is IPv4 only due to a lack of V6 support in certain software
backends, it's being worked on, and we openly acknowledge have issues on
certain platforms that are deployed that either do not support v6, or are
fundamentally broken in the way they are.  www.tenet.ac.za I cannot speak
for, TENET's network is v6 enabled, and that server itself *SHOULD* be v6
enabled, I unfortunately no longer work there and haven't in more than a
year, so it's kinda outta my hands.  Whois.co.za, well, we should ask Mark
about that :)

I can only say the following of all the three examples.  UFS *IS* v6 enabled
end to end, though as I have said, there are challenges with certain things.
Do not assume that because of limited examples like a webserver, the work
being put in is any less or any more relevant.

As I said, perhaps we need to talk far more openly about the challenges
people experience in going v6, because there are a lot of them, and we need
to deal with them instead of pretending they aren't real.

Andrew