[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Jun 3 14:04:01 SAST 2012

On Sunday, June 03, 2012 11:11:39 AM Mark Elkins wrote:

> At the end of the day - every ISP type service charges
> for the IP addresses that they 'rent' from their
> Upstream or RIR. They are all businesses.

Mark, do you mean as a hidden cost or explicitly?

Not all ISP's charge their customers for space. But yes,
some do.

The operations I've run assign a minimum default for every
new turn-up. If customers want additional space for their
expansion, they only need to justify that to us (not as easy
as I'm making it sound), and if they could, we'd assign more
to them. Justification for additional space was always in
line with the policies enforced by the RIR in the respective
region I worked; which is fair.

Charging for IPv4 address space isn't terribly useful, as
that's a dying resource you can't base any sustainable model
on.

I know Product & Marketing folks like to charge for IPv4
addresses as a deterrence to exhaustion, but I always tell
them that if a customer is desperate, they'll pay anything
to get it.

Add to that, the Sales are happy making IPv4 addresses an
item line because they make more on commissions.

So the combination of S&M, in this case, is a recipe for
disaster that needs checking.

But as a basic means of revenue when offering a service,
I'll submit it (selling IPv4 space) leaves a foul taste in
my mouth. As for IPv6, that's just immoral, but that's my
own opinion.

Your network, your rules.

Mark.