[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sun Jun 3 11:11:39 SAST 2012

At the end of the day - every ISP type service charges for the IP
addresses that they 'rent' from their Upstream or RIR.
They are all businesses.

For IPv4:
ISP often package a few 'free' (as such related to and included in the
cost of the service) addresses and then if the customer wants (and can
justify) - 'rents' them more for a cost.

For IPv6:
The numbers of addresses are simply much larger.
In all honesty - for a corporate customer on a fixed line service - I'd
probably give them a /48 and for a small home user, perhaps a /60...

Do I believe a provider should charge extra for IPv6 services? No.

I've been routing IPv6 packets for five years now. I peer with almost
everyone at JINX (about 60 different sessions) and IPv6 peer with
everyone who has switched on IPv6 at JINX - 14 sessions.

All my web sites and core systems are dual stacked.

We should be less concerned about IPv6 uptake in just Africa (where we
have some IPv4 reserves) and consider there are parts of the world that
have run out. Then consider that we'd like them to easily communicate
with us (Web Mail - etc). So are you running IPv6?

Personally - I'd like to suggest to my competition that IPv6 is very
difficult and expensive to implement - not worth the bother and that all
address problems can be solved by using NAT. Please also pass on my
contact details to your customers.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE