[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

maina.noah at ipv6.or.tz maina.noah at ipv6.or.tz
Fri Jun 1 19:55:30 SAST 2012

> ISP's that charge extra for IPv6 will not survive. Even the
> vendors, that used to charge extra for IPv6 licenses and
> features, don't anymore.

Mark,

In 2008 in Rabat, we had a heated debate regarding ISP's that were
charging their customers for v4 downstream address allocation?? Now
learning that the same is going down the v6 path is quite disappointing.

I mean, i think AfriNIC needs to do something about this even though as an
RIR its not their mandate to hunt down such operators but i think its high
time we had some policies that seriously discourage the sale of number
resources, because i don't sincerely think the cost for LIR membership to
utilize number resources for business is a justification for reaping
customers off their $$$.

Charging for v6 will seriously discourage its adoption at the grass-roots
as it will encourage v4+NAT to save cost.

> IP(v4 or v6) isn't the service. The service that runs on top
> of IP(v4 or v6) is the service.

Thus, we need to make the end-users/consumers aware of this through
various local forums.

>> The question is whether we should base our procurement
>> requirements today on IPv4 only or pay that 10%
>> difference, for example, for IPv6 support.

In respect of IPv6 adoption and business continuity, i think paying 10%
would be justifiable for any serious organization much aware of the
dynamics in technology.

> Mark.

./noah