[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Jun 1 13:45:55 SAST 2012

At 02:50 01-06-2012, Adiel Akplogan wrote:
>How do you know what your users require in therm of v4 or v6? I
>thought what users generally want is just to be able to access the
>Internet mostly for communication/information/trading purpose?

Users generally want to access some web sites.  As these web sites
are accessible over IPv4, they don't have any problem.  There is an
insignificant minority who may require Ipv6 but they may not be
willing to pay the premium price for that.

>What really matter is how you sustain your growth! Internet, beside
>being a technology,

Yes.

>  it drives business based on number of users (market) see it as
> simple as that. So the question is how do we continue to
> support/ensure the growth of that market? Specially in Africa if we
> continue to base our procurement requirements today on IPv4 only
> ... with the assumption that, "that is what users require"?

The question is whether we should base our procurement requirements
today on IPv4 only or pay that 10% difference, for example, for IPv6
support.  The IPv4 address pool will be depleted in a few years or
more.  Africa can wait for that to happen and reap the short-term
benefit of hardware dumping.  By doing so, it foregoes any hope of
catching up with the rest of the world in terms of having an
attractive market.  That won't convince the people who will be paying
the extra EUR 10,000.  Now, if you could get me a Safaricom case
study, I would be interested in reading it.

At 03:31 01-06-2012, Mark Tinka wrote:
>The issue of whether IPv6 is necessary in the enterprise has
>long-been one of differing opinions. But what stands out is
>that the enterprise has, by far, the largest challenge re:
>moving on to IPv6, because all that software (payroll,
>accounting, database, human resource, e.t.c.) either doesn't
>support IPv6 today, never will, or will require massive
>spend in order to do so.

Yes.

>As the enterprise is mostly a closed circuit, and there
>isn't lack of RFC 1918 address space, the case for IPv6
>might be less appealing if one is looking at a holistic
>deployment. Some enterprises, to claim compliance, simply
>turn IPv6 on on the edge router connected to their upstream
>- never mind what's going on inside the LAN - done!

Yes.

>But as a service provider, if you want to keep you business
>running, I beg you to ignore IPv6 if you're my competitor.

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;[removed]                     IN      AAAA

Regards,
-sm