[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 1 12:34:09 SAST 2012

On Friday, June 01, 2012 11:50:01 AM Adiel Akplogan wrote:

> How do you know what your users require in therm of v4 or
> v6? I thought what users generally want is just to be
> able to access the Internet mostly for
> communication/information/trading purpose?
>
> What really matter is how you sustain your growth!
> Internet, beside being a technology, it drives business
> based on number of users (market) see it as simple as
> that. So the question is how do we continue to
> support/ensure the growth of that market? Specially in
> Africa if we continue to base our procurement
> requirements today on IPv4 only ... with the assumption
> that, "that is what users require"?

One would be hard-pressed to buy equipment today that
doesn't support IPv6 anyway. However, depending on the
vendor you choose, you will always be surprised, of course.

While the enterprise, today, is happy to operate in a
relatively closed environment (making the case for IPv6, for
them, more of an uphill struggle from various aspects), it
is not infeasible to expect that in the future, those hosts,
internally, for one reason or another, will need to either
connect to the Internet, or to go on to IPv6.

What holds true is that when IPv6 eventually becomes the
dominant protocol of the Internet, and enterprise hosts
require access to that Internet, NAT46 will be too expensive
to maintain.

Mark.