[afripv6-discuss] IPv6 In South Africa

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jan 13 11:00:14 SAST 2012

On Friday, January 13, 2012 04:47:31 PM Pierre Van Vuuren
(ZA) wrote:

> I'm from South Africa and the state as of November last
> year was about 70 South African networks have IPv6
> prefixes allocated to them, but only a view of those
> prefixes are routed on the IPv6 internet. For more
> detail check out this resource:
> http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/all/?country=za

Yes, I checked that and saw the statistics, but this only
tells you who's announcing a v6 allocation. It doesn't
really tell you if devices have even actually been deployed
with v6 addresses from that allocation, let alone whether
any (paying) customers are using a/the service on v6.

> My gut tells me IS (Internet Solutions) and MWEB will
> have some IPv6 hosts.

I'm hoping that for every announcement you're seeing from
.za, there is at least one device actually configured with a
v6 address. But that is not guaranteed.

Critical now is how v6 is extended into the broadband access
portions of the network. Doing it in the core is now brain-
dead and boring, i.e., fairly straightforward.

It is pushing it on to the ADSL, FTTH, 3G and 4G networks
that is going to be difference between who means business
and who gets left behind.

Of course, let's not forget that there will be tons of folk
who are more interested in maintaining v4, NAT44'ing and
NAT444'ing over and over and over, without regard to how
many of the millions of $$ could have gone toward v6
deployment, e.g., 3G/4G carriers.

Mark.