[afripv6-discuss] Where Are the Killer Applications for IPv6?

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Jan 16 10:44:23 SAST 2010

Le 04/01/2010 11:34, Borg Knight a écrit :
>  I think what is needed to really push v6 is a killer application (or
> applications) for v6 that few can resist.

Smart Grids are one application: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_grid

In pleminary IETF discussions (an IETF groups has yet to be formed on
this), I've argued that the first thing to make mandatory is for a Smart
Grid to use IPv6. The demand for single IPv6 addresses for each customer
meter is too high to be sustained by IPv4 - it would exhaust IPv4
address space.

I have no worries about the spread of IPv6 in the long term. Today we've
got Smart Grids to look forward to - and believe me, those will happen
because of overwhelming pressure to reduce our carbon use - and
tomorrow, other uses will arise.

Another application: IPv6 multicasting for emergency applications.
Japan, a country plagued by very frequent earthquakes, has a pilot
project about this:
http://www.ocn.ne.jp/jishinsokuho/
For those who do not read Japanese:
http://www.ntt.co.jp/ir/library_e/nttis/2008spr/topics.html
(although I am sure there are better sources for this, but I don't have
the time to look)
Also - Tsunami Alert; avalanche alert; volcano alert. The possibilities
are endless.
Check the tranlated information about both these services on:
http://www.rmv6tf.org/2009-IPv6-Summit-Presentations/Cody%20Christman%20-%20NTT%20-%20RMv6TF%20IPv6%20Summit.pdf

In the face of increasing numbers of increasingly severe natural
disasters, I hope that in the longer term, IPv6 multicast technology
will be made use of to save lives worldwide. That's partly why I believe
that we need to get IPv6 rolled-out ASAP - everywhere.

Warmest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD