[AfrICANN-discuss] [AFRI-Discuss] Call for a theme for the Joint AFRALO/AfrICANN Meeting at ICANN 54 Dublin

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:26:07 UTC 2015

Thanks Yassin

On 17/09/2015 19:50, ymshana2003 wrote:
> Fellows,
>
> It is good to read this discussion taking place prior the "meeting" or
> "pub crawl in Ireland"... Bravo!
>
> Maybe, for such meetings to  be effective, they should have taken
> place muchearlier, then feed the Deliberations (Statement) to ICANN
> Systems through Africa Represention at the Board or its Constituents...?

I think that is really an excellent suggestion.

I would suggest that the community does some work on this list (or
another list) and well before the meeting. Face to face meetings are
useful in driving consensus, but not that effective for raising issues,
debating them and formulating positions. So I would suggest a move from
setting the agenda on this list to actually starting the discussion.

Those attending in person can meets and finalise the position or set of
positions.

I then suggest a meeting with all who are interested and not just the
Africa representation at the Board (you may have noticed people like
George Sadowsky and Ray Plzak are very interested and try and attend,
not just the only African resident board member). You can then
(informally) present the views and have some discussion. This could be
part of the same meeting: so a 90 minute session divided into 60 minutes
of discussion and 30 minutes interaction. Or two meetings.

I would then suggest a report which can be presented at the Public Form
(with my usual warning - please don't read the statement. Give it to
staff to project - while the speaker talks about it).

Mike
(In my personal capacity)