[AfrICANN-discuss] IETF89 starts tomorrow March 2nd in London with ICANN as a host: Some interesting reading and remote participation.

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 21:20:29 SAST 2014

Hello Victor,

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Victor Ndonnang
<ndonnang at nvconsulting.biz>wrote:

> Hi Seun,
>

> Physical participation to meetings is important but is not the only way.
> We have to start small. Beginning by following IETF mailing lists,
> understanding RFCs, contributing and finally going to physical meetings.

Yes i agree its not and shouldn't be, however understanding how this unique
continent of ours operate is key. Starting with mailing list has been
suggested several times and we are still at current status-quo. This means
we need to re-evaluate and use another approach; IETF activities needs to
get closer to organisation who can can fund/support participation of their
staff, it needs to get closer to nationals who can encourage their
institutions to develop learning/research content around it, it needs to
get closer to individual who is yet to know about it but got the technical
know how.

> The culture of "virtual community" and "documenting ideas and processes"
> have to be improved within our community in general and technical community
> in particular. We can forget things, facts or ideas but when It is written
> down, the future generations will use it and improve it if needed.

You are right about documentation. Which most typical engineer is guilty of
;) However i think that is changing gradually.

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*