[AfrICANN-discuss] IETF89 starts tomorrow March 2nd in London with ICANN as a host: Some interesting reading and remote participation.

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Sun Mar 2 22:02:08 SAST 2014

That is not how the IETF works, unless I am mistaken. The IETF writes
the standards (RFCs and so forth), for interoperability.

*ANYONE* (who has an interest in a topic at hand) can subscribe to the
mailing lists and attend the meetings (650 USD a pop if I am not mistaken).

Anyone can propose topics for discussion, usually by submitting draft
documents to the mailing lists, but one finds that generally only those
who have a clue about the topic at hand do so.

Anyone  can speak up, on the mailing lists and/or at the meetings, but
one finds that generally only those who have a clue about the topic at
hand do so.

Eventually rough consensus and running code are achieved, and the new
standard is set, usually by publishing an RFC or something similar.

As far as meetings go, they are usually held near where most of the IETF
volunteers are located.

So, young African engineers, once you contribute sufficiently the
meeting(s) will come :-)-O

el

On 2014-03-02, 21:20 , Seun Ojedeji wrote: [...]
> Yes i agree its not and shouldn't be, however understanding how
> this unique continent of ours operate is key.  Starting with
> mailing list has been suggested several times and we are still at
> current status-quo.  This means we need to re-evaluate and use
> another approach; IETF activities needs to get closer to
> organisation who can can fund/support participation of their
> staff, it needs to get closer to nationals who can encourage their
> institutions to develop learning/research content around it, it
> needs to get closer to individual who is yet to know about it but
> got the technical know how.
[...]
PO Box 8421             \     /
Bachbrecht, Namibia     ;____/