[AfrICANN-discuss] A brief update on the ASWG

Lerato lerato.ma at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 03:32:03 SAST 2012

+1 Dr. Yassin,

and the directive or request by the CEO was not a fire-fighting order....I am sure it meant that Africans should consider doing that - not to form a Group without necessary consultations back home - this happened in Prague where Africans were represented - why not take the message 'home' for consideration? This where the issue began - I for one fail to believe that the CEO meant that a small Group be formed..,,??

It is well known the CEO did not have any directive when he was asked to participate in the Prague meeting, nor did he ask for an Africa Strategy.As was admittedly stated by the same group before on this email list by way of clarification,   - we took opportunity during the meeting to suggest the Africa strategy and the CEO in fact asked for one person as a direct liaison to him and the group decided to make it more than one, thus the election process -  If this was what was said to us before, how come it is now represented as the CEO asked for strategy and or the African Board selected the group.   It is becoming a circus, different people saying different things at different times.

It probing this issue of Prague further, it is now my understanding the Africa Strategy was suppose to be a continuation of Dakar's list of items that was requested by African Union to ICANN and the Sr. Officials of ICANN clarified to certain group that particular meeting in Prague was an AU meeting, which for some reason now, AU is out of the picture ( I have a feeling a complaint was made of AU's direct affiliation with .africa bid), then the musical chair winner of the new face of the Africa Strategy became AfriNic by default).

Therefore, as I see it, not only there was an issue of selection of the small group, there could have been an issue as to who should own it, since AU is not longer there.  Hence, the new concern that should be noted now is the winner of these musical chair of the Africa strategy should not get involved in the implementation of such strategy and would have to be done entirely by a different team, org etc, as COI will definitively be as issue in the implementation.

These are my thoughts in hindsight,  and one I suggest should be taken seriously as an input to the ICANN-ASWG.

Kind regards,

--Lerato Ma

>________________________________

Some effort has bean made in this area of work in order to gain a place in National Priorities (wasted energy?) .....Could someone explain why this disjoint? Let alone having National Strategies - there are some of our countries without a National Policy. Why not start with that? How far did the ICANN Regional Bureaus/ Offices go to help in this?

> [...]
>>>Date: September 14, 2012 8:26:58 GMT
>>>To: africann at afrinic.net
>>>Subject: [AfrICANN-discuss] ASWG outputs : Clarifications
>>>

>>Dear All,
>>>
>>>As you are taking time to go through the documents that were posted by
>>>the ASWG, I think these clarifications are in order, to contextualize
>>>what we seek to achieve as Africans participants to ICANN
>>>
>>>1- The Africa Strategy document was a request by the incoming CEO, who
>>>wanted to have a special strategy for Africa;
>>>2- As per the timeline that has been posted, Africans should deliver
>>>the outlines of the strategy by October and then ICANN will take it
>>>from there to develop the Africa strategy
>>>3-The ICANN Africa strategy has nothing to do with our
>>>national/regional ICT strategies which a few of us have been helping
>>>African countries develop these last years
>>>4-Thus, your inputs are important for the outlines to be delivered to
>>>ICANN in the specified timeline (end of September/early October)
>>>5-Finally, this is not the end of it , as sessions have been planned
>>>to futher discuss the strategy in Totonto, .and also online.
>>>
>>>So, what is requested NOW is that we go through the posted documents,
>>>concentrate on the strategic Objectives, propose your owm priority
>>>list and provide further comments and recommendations if any, to help
>>>cover all Africans' needs in the ICANN Africa Strategy for coming
>>>three years..
>>>
>>>I hope this clarifies..
>>>Regards
>>>Pierre
>>>
>>>--
>>On Sep 14, 2012, at 21:13, Dr Yassin Mshana <ymshana2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>Oga Nii,
>>>

>>>It is pleasing to see that - I am being invited ;-) to share opinions that would be of benefit to us. I am afraid I do not need to be invited since I will always do my bets for Africa and never expected a recognition.
>>>

>>>I respectively asked a 2 questions and no credible answers - the answers to those two questions might be the foundation to build on i.e. How to get Africans engaged/involved in everything done for Africa? A big mistake was done by not inviting Africans in forming the Group - it is just a matter of principle and respect - that is why I will keep asking asking "Why the Rush". In addition, it would be a gesture of good  will if the 'Group' had called for nominations for the African Strategy W/Group - to be more rhetoric, maybe the name would have been changed to a "Team" instead of a "Group"
>>>

>>>Ownership of this important process by all Africans is as important as the work being done. Where has African natural Diplomacy gone?
>>>

>>>Let us be strategic in the approach to this Strategy - there should be no grumbles or boasting by anyone. I would like things to be done with concurrence and by a 'Team' not a 'Group'. We have to consider 'emotional' intelligence not only 'intellectual' intelligence and skills....

5 Off Spur Road, Wilberforce