[AfrICANN-discuss] The world is moving gradually towards cyber war

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 23:56:31 SAST 2012

Hello Douglas,

Thank you for this.

I am glad to have learnt something today. It seems that the limitations are
a advantage  when it comes to security issues which can not be discussed in
the Open.
Security is Secret therefore one does not have to answer Questions in the
open (Oga Nii I am sorry there - no answers on security issues) the fact is
in the laboratory everything is open but when it comes to security practice
things are different!

While on this, our Dr El was asking openly about what is at risk - I do not
think an answer could come out in the open just like that - I am pleased
the Answers came out the way they were posted.

Bottom line is, DO NOT TRUST anyone on Security Issues - that is the way I
see it. Otherwise, better stay in the Laboratories and not in the open
world full a mixture of different 'Characters'.

I do not mean to offend anyone no do I have to apologize to anyone when it
comes to those issues. Please keep let us Security issues Secure and on
Need to Know Basis.

BTW I have no security mandate - I am just a beneficiary and user of what
we have and out to promote development in this area of economic activity. I
would like to maintain my uncompromising position by being Truthfully
African!

May I ask my colleagues to feel free to say anything to my opinion as they
wish - I will respect all that - thank you in advance.

Well done one and all - Aluta continua!!

Kind regards

Yassin

On 24 October 2012 20:14, Douglas Onyango <ondouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nii,
> On 24 October 2012 14:04, Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com> wrote:
> > Is the SA Electric grid SCADA connected to Internet ?
> I am not sure about SA, but I know about Uganda :-) (where I am from).
> The SCADA system isn't supposed to be connected to the Internet ---
> but you and I know it is idealistic to think this guideline is being
> followed.
>
> All to often networks supposed to be offline have been compromised by
> poor network configurations that allowed access to supposedly offline
> networks segments connected to online segments.
>
> A case in point is Stuxnet in Iran's case. The worm didn't use the
> Internet to propagate; instead: ignorance, social engineering and a
> host of other techniques were used very successfully to infect
> computers and networks that were not supposed to be connected online.
>
> I guess the take away here is that: it take more than just putting a
> computer/network offline to secure it from cyber attacks.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Douglas Onyango | +256(0794)981329 | Twitter: @ondouglas
> Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
> half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
> learned in the first was a joke.

*Independent Consultant*
c/o DFID-Sierra Leone
5 Off Spur Road, Wilberforce
Freetown,SIERRA LEONE
Skype: yassinmshana1, Mobile:+23276926697, Fax: (+232) 22235769
*Do You really NEED TO PRINT THIS?*
 * "The illiterates of the 21st century are not those who cannot read or*
* write** but those who cannot learn, relearn and unlearn" Alvin Toffler*