[AfrICANN-discuss] The world is moving gradually towards cyber war

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:15:43 SAST 2012

Nii,
On Oct 25, 2012 12:15 AM, "Nii Narku Quaynor" <quaynor at ghana.com> wrote:
> Ack. Thus failure to follow guidelines and best practices is at issue?
(ignorance, social engineering etc accessed vulnerabilities )

In Iran's case I would say this was one of the issues. It was clear a
network existed that was segmented and isolated from other
networks/Internet because of threats of malware to CI, but people let
themselves be socially engineered into pluging infected usb sticks into the
isolated network --- the result; we all know well.

Broadening the discussion to the issues & what Africa needs, I would say
for a start:-
- Strategies, Policies and procedures
- The tech resources to implement & maintain secure infrastructure in
accordance to policies
- Training to ensure users understand the threats & policies; and the
reason they should be followed without compromise
- Mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance