[AfrICANN-discuss] The world is moving gradually towards cyber war

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:38:56 SAST 2012

Yassin,
On Oct 25, 2012 12:59 AM, "Dr Yassin Mshana" <ymshana2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am glad to have learnt something today. It seems that the limitations
>are a advantage  when it comes to security issues which can not be
>discussed in the Open.
> Security is Secret therefore one does not have to answer Questions in
>the open (Oga Nii I am sorry there - no answers on security issues) the
>fact is in the laboratory everything is open but when it comes to security
>practice things are different!

This is what is called the: security through obscurity principle. It is
also frowned upon in security circles because it doesn't make you more
secure but rather hides your vulnerabilities --- and you know you can't do
that forever.

Microsoft and Apple are some prime examples of people who worked by this
principle with disappointing results at some point.....on the other had
Linux/Unix is a success story of open security.....and today we all know
where that has gotten them.

I am more of the school of thought of open security; or security by design.
I think security can & should be discussed openly --- afterall, our
discussion centres around principles of security rather than IP addresses
or anything that low level.