[AfrICANN-discuss] Help with .africa history

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 04:57:21 SAST 2012

I would like to share this post which came in response to another (similar)
thread on the KICTANET mailing list. I believe it is very relevant and
abundantly clear. I also hope that it helps to address certain fears and
concerns that have been clearly expressed in this thread.

-----
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Mohamed El Bashir <
mohamed at africanregistry.org> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> It's unfortunate to read the email response from DCA to Alice's ".Africa
> facts" email.
>
> As a chair of the Steering Committee of UnfiForum/AUC bid for ".Africa"
> new gTLD, I would like to stress the fact that we are applying for a
> Geographical  gTLD so we are required by ICANN' applicant guidebook and new
> gTLD procedures to obtain AUC/African Governments support required for this
> type of application .
>
> AUC and African Governments are a major stakeholders in our application .
> Alice email stating facts related to AUC/Governments support to ".Africa"
> application.
>
> Instead of attacking the AUC, Governments and people who support ".Africa"
> application, I hope that DCA  focus on its application and accept the
> reality that there are 2 applications one for ".dotafrica" applied by DCA
> and other application for ".Africa" applied by Unifoum endorsed by AUC
> according to  ICANN published list of new gTLDs :
>
> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/application-results/strings-1200utc-13jun12-en
>
> I hope we remain constrictive, objective and avoid negative assumptions in
> our communications for the benefit of Africa's Internet community.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Mohamed El Bashir

-----

Best regards,