[AfrICANN-discuss] Re: AfrICANN Digest, Vol 65, Issue 50

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:45:12 SAST 2012

Hello everyone,

First to those who seized the opportunity and volunteered and I find that
is healthy to have remarks and feedback about the process followed. It is
good that we have more information and details, thanks for sharing.

Ad hoc work or group is good to act quickly and for starting, but it has
many flaws and it is workaround or temporary solution which should led to
more sustained and open approach. In addition, showing solidarity doesn't
mean preventing people from expressing contradictory opinions, consensus is
built through discussion and workin toward common ground and understanding
not by imposing ideas or dismissing comments.

Saying that, I think we should start defining some principles or rules of
engagement for future initiatives involving our community:
- having in mind balance and representation regarding all stakeholders
(gov, ccTLD, private sector, users, civils society, academics etc) and
regions, our continent has more than 50 countries ! That also raise the
needs to bring more people from Africa but that is another story.
- communicating with the community in public space like this mailing list
and other fora and call for volunteers till setting a more permanent
structure
- discussions and documents should be public for openness and transparency .

that doesn't prevent people from initiating ad hoc working groups and
involving the community later, those principles soul give some guidance and
avoid misunderstanding . We should have in mind that representation of all
stakeholders and diversity is critical.

For more substance, I think that ICANN should start more proper public
consultation and not throwing the hot potatoes to volunteers. It was
somehow mistake form CEO but it is ok, we have opportunity and let's see if
some changes will happen and we will let Icann accountable .

I would like to suggest that we share more information prior to and during
Icann meetings, I didn't hear about that ad hoc session , it is sad.but
let's think about Toronto meeting, looks we have some homework.

Best,

Rafik

--
Rafik Dammak