[AfrICANN-discuss] Help with .africa history

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Tue Jul 3 08:25:58 SAST 2012

On 02/07/2012 16:37, Dr Yassin Mshana wrote:
> Hello Africans,
>
> I think we are getting somewhere now.
>
> How comes no one knows anything about <.africa> issues in the past?

It's simple - they came after this happened, or their memories are fading.

> Can we accurate please? That will be the misleading information that I
> had mentioned to Rebecca.

Agreed - which is why I'm providing references (which took some time to
dig up).

> I know and remember that the issue of <.africa> did not come up and
> should not have been considered by ccTLD (ccNSO) constituent since
> there is and was gTLD Constituent which was responsible for that issue.

Not entirely correct.
There was a DNSO (Domain Name Support Organisation) which had several
'constituencies'. Only later did the cc's organise into a separate
Supporting Organisation (I think it was first mooted in Stockholm). So,
basically, the cc's only had a 'separate' voice later. Until the ccNSO
was formed, everything they did was channelled through the DNSO, now the
GNSO.
As I mainly hung out in the cc group, it was the logical place for me to
get some opposition to what was, in my eyes, a recolonisation attempt.
I was not alone in this effort - and lots of other people, Africans and
non-Africans were involved in this opposition.

> May I suggest that we provide accurate information please? If one does
> not know - just say so please - the issues was beyond your mandate.
> Fellow Africans, let us be professional by giving accurate information
> to the journalist please! No room for anything else but a True Story...

Well - you're welcome to believe a woman who arrived half way on the
scene, and implemented a business plan which I outlined to her in a
lunch meeting in São Paulo in 2006, and subsequently claimed the idea as
her own.

Or, you could go look at the records (which admittedly takes time).

It was only when I saw clear errors which were going to put forward that
I felt the need to spend the hour or two doing research to get
substantiation.

And I did outline the stuff which I've substantiated above to 'Becky.
Although I got my initial dates wrong by a year.

regards

--Calvin