[AfrICANN-discuss] Is it relevant to know who is who on the AfrICANN list?

Pierre Lotis NANKEP lnankep at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 31 00:35:45 SAST 2012

Hello Adiel,

Thanks for your valuable comments... Even if they arrive late because voting ends in less than 24 hours.

1rst set of questions : What is the purpurse [of this poll] ? Who is/is_not entitle to take the poll? How do you control that?
I followed with great attention the discussions on this list. And it became very clear that there are differences on identity and authenticity of members.
Whereas AfrICANN is a completely open list so far, I consider it appropriate to seek the views of members to justify any future proposal of the redesign of this list. Given the context of the debates that are tense, I chose a way of anonymous voting based on conscience and morality of members (ethics).
Also, notice that a link is established with the IP address of the voter. So you understand that there is no interest for a member to vote multiple times (with his friends, his dog and his cat).

1rst remark : ... not to be anonymous ...
What is the policy implemented by AfriNIC for this to be so? Honestly I do not know. Thank you for sharing this policy with us.

2rd remark : ... to be taken only by people who have been on the list and/or active on it over the past minimum 2 years ...
Is there a predefined procedure or you just make that decision ... Or is it a proposal? In other words, if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that new members take 2 years to observe before intervening?

3rd remark : Trying to meet the above 2 points alone will make you quickly realise that the poll by itself is inappropriate to answer the question you are asking …
It's possible. It is your opinion that I respect. What about the 26 members who took the time to give their views by voting?

4th remark : On a more general note, has it happened to any of you who are vehemently questioning the expertise of people ....
I do not think this remark is addressed to me personally ... But this is not really a bad idea to ask some experts to be humble.

2nd set of question : ... ask yourself what is the genesis of this list? What was it purpose and objective?
This is what i knew about the AfrICANN list : "This list is a common area of discussion for the Internet community in Africa, and more precisely for those involved or willing to be involved in the ICANN processes."
I do not know if this has changed.

3rd question : Who came up with the idea and to achieve what?
I think the answer is at : https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/africann/2007-March/author.html.
I take this opportunity to congratulate the creators. However, it is not permit to a father or mother to kill or mistreat her baby. If this is the case, family members and neighbors will be forced to rescue the baby.

5th remark : I think trying to understand that a lone would have cut 90% of this never-ending loop of the debate that is going on for a while now
Dear Adiel, I'm not the source of endless and meaningless  debates that take place on this list ... This is also why I suggested the vote.

Human work is never perfect. Improvement is a continuous and perpetual process.

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments.

--
Pierre Lotis NANKEP