[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] Last 5 /8 distributes

Ben Akoh me at benakoh.com
Thu Feb 10 22:39:18 SAST 2011

Thanks Adiel,

To keep the conversation going and hoping to push our reflections towards
achieving solutions (as if there was a problem)...

Should we then begin to focus Africa's rapid adoption of IPv6 to a sleuth
of activities around edge devices? Afrinic has done quite some work around
this already, especially at the network level. And this needs to be
further complemented in some way.

Additional stakeholders to carry this further is perhaps required - the
regional economic commissions? Not that this should be a matter of
government uptake but you would agree with me that our continent is unique
in the way we depend on them (governments) for deployments in issues such
as this. If thats the case, what strategy should be employed? And in
addition, how can we take this further to the edge-of-the-edge networks -
not just the CPEs but the equipment at the peripheries themselves?

My concerns are purely founded on the interests that we should be seen to
adopt IPv6 in the continent at the same pace as everywhere else so we are
in the forefront of the benefits that its adoption has to offer. And this
means we need to be doing something differently.

Ben

--
Ben Akoh
p: +221-77-638-6477 (Senegal)