[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] Last 5 /8 distributes

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Thu Feb 10 21:07:56 SAST 2011

On 2011-02-03, at 22:29 PM, McTim wrote:
<snip> ...

> For instance,
>> what has been the spend by companies or countries for newer more compliant
>> equipment?
>
> <snip>...
>
> I think that cable modems and other CPE are the place where some cash
> will need to be spent eventually.

I 100% agree with you. The deployment has to move now to the edge. Focus has
been put (where it was) in the past years on the core of the Network
Infrastructures and at some extend on applications compatibility, neglecting
end users connectivity. This, I guess was a pure matter of deployment (and
disruption mitigation) strategy for many operators. In our region it is also
because anyway EU are connected over exaggerated NATed IP addressing design...
which in fact is a very bad network design habit (that has a very high cost).

- a.