[AfrICANN-discuss] Breaking the Internet HOWTO: The Unintended Consequences of Governmental Actions

Nacer Adamou Saidou adamou.nacer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:24:18 SAST 2011

Hi all,

Le 20/12/2011 13:03, Ntege Badru a écrit :
> Eric
>

> You submission begs the question "should the internet conform or be
> conformed", i beg to differ.....
>

> [Ntege Badru]
>

> The internet cannot be conformed or controlled but the pipes can be
> conformed and controlled.  So the argument is not about the internet but the
> pipe that delivers it to your end point and what it should or not deliver.

I don't clearly see the difference! When the US government decide to
seize domain names is that pipe or internet? When Chinese government
decide to have its own dns hierarchy I guess to better control what is
publish, is that pipe or internet?

My question was not about technical issues only. There are a range of
issue from the different layers that constitute our today's internet:
- - political issues,
- - governance issues,
- - prices and business model (at network operators level particularly,
but not only),
- - intellectual property,
- - free speech and human rights,
- - etc

We are getting more internet dependant and we need to discuss on how
Africa can get most of this.

Regards
- --
Nacer Adamou Saïdou