[AfrICANN-discuss] Breaking the Internet HOWTO: The Unintended Consequences of Governmental Actions

Ntege Badru badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Tue Dec 20 14:03:11 SAST 2011

Eric

You submission begs the question "should the internet conform or be
conformed", i beg to differ.....

[Ntege Badru]

The internet cannot be conformed or controlled but the pipes can be
conformed and controlled.  So the argument is not about the internet but the
pipe that delivers it to your end point and what it should or not deliver.

So in the good old days of national gateways all this was possible but today
with fully distributed and mirrored networks it has become more and more
difficult.  So the whole issue of control to me becomes an academic
exercise, a race between those who want to control and an internet which is
always a few years ahead of the control freaks.  On the financial side, im
afraid the issue of charging for the type of content is inevitable as long
as we live in a capitalist economy which we all dearly love until we have to
pay for something we do not want to pay for.

Thus my view that neutrality as a concept is unsustainable.

badru

[Ntege Badru]