[AfrICANN-discuss] US screening new gTLD applicants against US laws

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Thu Dec 16 23:17:19 SAST 2010

Yassin, Fatimata,

Civil servants do what they are instructed to do, yes, but that still
doesn't take away the fact that the current DAG requirement of screening
against US laws is not acceptable - whether or not US civil servants put it
there in the first place.

Our governments still have a chance to express their objections when GAC
engages the ICANN board early next year on the whole new gTLD saga. Whether
or not the ICANN board listens or decides to keep ICANN as a servant to the
US government, we'll have to wait for February 2011.

Vika