[AfrICANN-discuss] on dots and cities

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 22:08:41 SAST 2007

You're welcome, Vika.
As a matter of fact, ICANN has been trying to avoid someone
"running afterwards" :) to become a registry of .[city], whether
there already exist .[city].[cctld] or not. The case of .berlin
is quite interesting. Recently, based on issues raised by the
GAC, they have to document all the other cities/towns around the
world that bear the same name, and show how they are trying to
build consensus.

It seems applying to become a .[city] registry is not that easy,
and will be less and less so. The least one can expect is that
the applicant has to gather support from real constituencies
living in the location (so including the .[city].[cctld] if
any), if not beyond.

You're right, this will certainly increase occurrences of
name/trademark dispute resolution, but I guess just as every new
gTLD does.

I just thought it might be worth giving hope :)

Mawaki