top-down? - Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] Comments on .xxx

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 16:44:53 SAST 2007

Exactly! A new gTLD process is opened because there is someone
who, for some reasons or interests, applies for it. Now it's not
because this process gets entangled in or with the US domestic
politics (or whatever reason, for that matter) that we could
"centrally" suggest that the CCs invest their time and energy to
review and assess that demand at country level.

If any given cc has its second level TLD process open to both
private and public operators, and there is one who thinks they
can make profit with .xxx as an sTLD in that country, of course,
it's up to them to apply and ultimately launch such TLD.
Certainly it's neither for the board, nor for the "global
community" to suggest that the ccTLDs in general take over this
work. Some already have so many, more pressing concerns to
address to service and serve their national communities, etc.

Mawaki