top-down? - Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] Comments on .xxx

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 01:56:46 SAST 2007

Mawaki, Paulos and Mwangi,

Thank you for your Management statements - I for one, I can not agree more
with you. Your suggestions are very good to me as the end-end-User. NO to
.xxx as a sTLD or in any other form at global level.

I am pleased to read that Mawaki mentioned about  "Interest" for how long
has this .xxxx engaged the global community in this discussion? Mnay hours
have been spent on this issue and I think it is time to down tools - I think
so.....

Cheers

Yassin

On 30/03/07, Mawaki Chango <ki_chango at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Exactly! A new gTLD process is opened because there is someone
> who, for some reasons or interests, applies for it. Now it's not
> because this process gets entangled in or with the US domestic
> politics (or whatever reason, for that matter) that we could
> "centrally" suggest that the CCs invest their time and energy to
> review and assess that demand at country level.
>
> If any given cc has its second level TLD process open to both
> private and public operators, and there is one who thinks they
> can make profit with .xxx as an sTLD in that country, of course,
> it's up to them to apply and ultimately launch such TLD.
> Certainly it's neither for the board, nor for the "global
> community" to suggest that the ccTLDs in general take over this
> work. Some already have so many, more pressing concerns to
> address to service and serve their national communities, etc.
>
> Mawaki
>
> --- Dr Paulos Nyirenda <paulos at sdnp.org.mw> wrote:
>

> > Just to mention that many cc's would be very concerned about a
> > top-
> > down approach coming from the Board but would welcome a
> > proposal from
> > the community. Regards,  Paulos
> >
> > On 30 Mar 2007 at 13:04, Michuki Mwangi wrote:
> >
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > Its in my opinion that, since the debate will not receive
> > the full
> > > support of the global community, why not move the debate to
> > the ccTLD
> > > level. For instance the board proposes that the xxx be a
> > ccTLD issue not
> > > a new TLD issue. In this case based on review country by
> > country, then
> > > it will be upon each cc's to choose to have a .xxx.cc sTLD
> > as opposed to
> > > the global community's and ICANN board to decide on having a
> > .xxx TLD.
> > >
> > > Those countries that approve of a .xxx.cc sTLD and are an
> > open registry,
> > >  they will probably accommodate the adult content
> > web-masters who are
> > > seeking a formal name space slot.
> > >
> > > This in my opinion will address the issue of the domain at a
> > national
> > > level and take away the debate from the Global arena - since
> > as varied
> > > as the world is - the .xxx may not receive the desired
> > global consensus
> > > for approval.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > --