[AfrICANN-discuss] AfTLD - what - policy - Re: AfTLD - Administrative Manager Post Announcement ..

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Fri Apr 13 13:13:11 SAST 2007

Alan Levin,

It is good to see that you want to support AFTLD, Africa does need to
speak with one voice on ICANN and other Internet related issues.

AFTLD is the ONLY regional organisation that is recognised as
representing the Africa ICANN region on the ICANN-ccNSO. See the
minutes of the ccNSO Council available at:

http://ccnso.icann.org/minutes/minutes-18jan05.shtml

Following this recognition, as required by ICANN bylaws, ccNSO has a
liaison from AFTLD who currently is Ali Drissa Badiel. He is very
active as you will see when search for "badiel ccnso" on any Google
search. Congratualtions to him.

On policies that affect us as a region, I can easily refer you to the
current policy proposals on ICANN regions, see:

http://ccnso.icann.org/minutes/

and recent presentations at the ICANN meetings in Lisbon, that you
attended. AFTLD is following this closely and has put up a stand on
any possible partitioning of Africa that may result from this. There
seems to be a real danger that Africa as an ICANN region could be re-
partitioned hence destroying all the work that many of us put in, for
example in creating something like AFRINIC for the Africa region.

Here attached is the AFTLD stand on this that has been communicated
to the ccNSO and to ICANN on this issue, from the AFTLD Executive
Committee, on which Badiel sits.

Would you not then say that AFTLD does act on policy issues that
affect the Africa region?

Would you not then also say that policy issues that affect us at a
regioanl level as Africa do indeed exist and that we do need a
regional body to address them?

ICANN recognises AFTLD, why is it that you or we as Africans are
squabbling about this?

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda