Search RPD Archives
[rpd] Humble feature request for quarantined/cleaned up IP addresses
Noah
noah at neo.co.tz
Sun Sep 27 11:35:12 UTC 2026
On Sun, 27 Sept 2026, 1:24 pm Loganaden Velvindron, <loganaden at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Sept 2026 at 12:23, Ben Roberts - AfriNIC
> <ben.roberts at afrinic.net> wrote:
> >
> > Logan,
> > It might be wrong to assume that all quarantined and returned space is
> contaminated. I’m sure that cyber threat blacklist companies have their own
> methods of determining address space with threats. I might be wrong to just
> ask to block all returned space (thus rendering it potentially useless to a
> future user who has been allocated the space).
> >
> > Is there a particular problem that you are trying to solve ?
>
> The problem statement is quite simple: There is currently no dedicated
> web page on AFRINIC website where
> we can see the list of quarantine and/or recovered IPs. I would be
> happy for AFRINIC to prove me wrong here.
> This information is *very useful* for Cybersecurity threat Intel
> providers, ISPs, and other blocklist operators
> to remove IPs from blocklists.
>
> ARIN has this: https://www.arin.net/resources/guide/ipv4/blocks_cleared/
>
> I quote from ARIN web page:
> "This page lists the addresses used to fulfill waiting list requests.
> We encourage blocklist operators to use this data to remove
> potentially stale reputation information based on activity by the
> previous registrant."
>
> I work very closely with Cybersecurity Threat Intel Providers. I'm
> seeing a lot of automation happening in this space. If AFRINIC
> provides a page similar
> to the ARIN one, it would be easier for Cybersecurity Threat Intel
> Providers to *reduce stale information* from their blocklists.
>
> Is the problem statement clear Ben ?
>
This is clear logan and such a VAS shall come in handy once implemented so
that other actors beyond cybersec folks make use of the data.
Cheers,
./noah
> _______________________________________________
> RPD mailing list
> RPD at afrinic.net
> https://lists.afrinic.net/mailman/listinfo/rpd
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/attachments/20260927/9e3d20b0/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the RPD
mailing list