[rpd] Consensus Decision by the Co-Chairs on the Policy Proposal Update of PDP AFPUB-2021-GEN-002-DRAFT03

Paul Hjul hjul.paul at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 09:47:52 UTC 2022

Hi Jordi

I don't think anybody (at least not anybody honest) has any suspicion of
misconduct or malfeasance on your part. The problem is that the same is not
true of the co-authors, one of whom is a particularly obnoxious nuisance
whose association with corruption within Afrinic is indisputable. I am
acutely aware of the fact that in order to make progress people of good
character and faith will attempt to collaborate across aisles, and I also
am opposed to rejecting a position or policy just because of the nonsense
of some of that positions proponents are deplorable individuals. Personally
I commend your work in this respect but it would be naive not to consider
that the work will invoke suspicion and looking at the history of the two
proposals it is a clear case of getting an ugly camel (a horse designed by
committee). Please do continue with your efforts to build consensus and I
am glad that I am not in your position having to hold my nose while dealing
with the individual whose misconduct undermined the prospect of an election
of board members.

There are deeper problems with the policy development process right now:
(1) the fact that there are implementation issues on the policy makes the
call by the co-chairs of consensus to be reached is fatally flawed;
(2) the fact that a competent court has found as a matter of law that there
is no in operation Board means that there is no Board to refer the policy
for ratification to means that the referral is deeply problematic;
(3) it is quite clear that breaking of the PDWG process hasn't been
discontinued - again while I commend your efforts to build consensus the
fact that one of your co-authors is second only to the league of the
"Benjamin Ledoh" character in being willing to go ugly when he wants to
disrupt things makes the proposals purpose of building consensus appear to
be more orientated to enabling further machinations
(4) it has surfaced that an effort to tie Afrinic onto the ATU has been
underway for the last 3 or so years. There are very good reasons why a
Memorandum of Understanding between Afrinic and the ATU should be in place,
just as there should be an MoU between Afrinic and dozens of organizations.
However the terms of the new MoU aren't publicized by Afrinic and all
coverage points to the MoU rather than delineating autonomy pushes Afrinic
into handmaiden status. When one of only two elected members of the board
publicly indicates that they were not aware of an engagement by which the
ATU was hoisted to fill 4 board seats then problems emerge. It is difficult
to sort of a bottom up consensus building and rough consensus driven policy
process when the organization administering those policies undermines its
own membership and purpose.

In light of these factors I fear that until there is a properly convened
SGMM with a properly conducted nominations and elections process your
gallant efforts aren't going to really produce fruit. I don't see it as
being helpful to getting the policy development process on track for any
proposal to be put to the working group until the SGMM is held and a Board
constituted.

Paul

Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 09:56:12 +0200
> From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
> To: rpd List <rpd at afrinic.net>
> Subject: Re: [rpd] Consensus Decision by the Co-Chairs on the Policy
>         Proposal Update of PDP AFPUB-2021-GEN-002-DRAFT03

?Hi AK,

As you probably saw already, the authors were discussing the withdrawal of
both policies in order to submit ASAP an integrated version.

So, in view of that, could you clarify what do you think I?ve ?responds to
an issue in an inappropriate manner?, so I can make sure to address it?

And by the way, if you believe that I?m involved in any kind of corruption,
as you seem to indicate in your email, please let me know the details,
because I can ensure you, from the bottom of my heart, that I?ve not been
aware of doing anything like that.

Tks in advance.

Regards,

Jordi