[rpd] A question for the PDWG

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:45:57 UTC 2022

You make a good point Alain. One comment in-line below.

Mike

> On 27 May 2022, at 15:15, ALAIN AINA via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:
>

> As for the original concern from Fernando and any other issues we may want to fix or improve on the RIR system, shouldn't we have discussions within the numbers community and use the Global policy process as  prescribed by the ICANN bylaws (ASO) and the ICANN/NRO MoU on the ASO function?  ICP-2 was adopted through the global Policy approach.

The ICANN/NRO MoU specifically states that "global policies are defined … as Internet number resource policies that have the agreement of all RIRs … and ICANN, *and require specific actions or outcomes on the part of IANA or any other external ICANN-related body* in order to be implemented.”

I don’t think governance improvements meet the criteria in the MOU and as such would not qualify as a possible global policy.