[rpd] A question for the PDWG

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Tue May 24 14:31:02 UTC 2022

Hi Jordi

> On 24 May 2022, at 15:55, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:

> The bylaws are encroaching the community sovereignty in many aspects, which means that the RIR is not complying with the ICP-2.

ICP-2 only requires compliance to allow for a new RIR to be established and recognised. The only ongoing obligation seems to be clause 9 “Record Keeping” and even then I am not really sure it is an ongoing obligation, or just an undertaking at a point in time which ICANN hopes will continue.

ICP-2 does not contain a provision for an RIR to be de-established and does not contain any compliance obligations. I suppose the other RIRs could remove an RIR from the ASO/NRO for non-compliance, however there is no mechanism for that.

…..

> What you’re proposing will only increatse to breach of ICP-2.

As above, this idea of a “breach” of ICP-2 is nonsense. AfriNIC has been established and ICP-2 no longer has any status. ICANN [and the ASO/NRO] are not our auditors or a court to adjudicate on compliance.

Happy to debate what the PDP should [or should not] look like, but please stop this appeal to alleged non-compliance or breach of ICP-2.

Mike