[rpd] AFRINIC PDWG Co-Chair Selection Timeframe

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 09:37:02 UTC 2022

Dear PDWG,
Please see my comments below, inline...

Le mercredi 27 avril 2022, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> a écrit :

>>  [...]
>>

> Ok! Let's move forward, as you strongly disagree
> to this pré-selection procedure; with reasonable
> arguments...imho, the discussion has reached a
> point where the PDWG's Chairs should decide what
>  they prefer...you know, they have that power [1]
> and they are free to use it at this occasion.
> __
> [1]: "3.6  Varying the Process
> The process outlined in this document may vary in
>  the case of an emergency. Variance is for use
> when a one-time waiving of some provision of this
> document is required.
>

> As you point out, varying the process requires an emergency. This is NOT
> an emergent situation,

Thanks for your reaction, Owen!

...don't be sure, brother!

This situation could be easily considered as an
*emergency* by the PDWG's Chairs; simply due to the fact that part of the
PDWG is willing to prepare
a successful PDWG's Chair selection/choice ahead
 of the next PPM. Rough Consensus on a call for
Varying the Process is a perfect case of emergency,
 imho :-)

You may need to start your usual interesting
questionning here :-/

Q1. Who should determine the emergency state?
Q2. Which criteria to use to *unequivocally* identify
an emergency?
Q3. {/feel free to add more here, please!/}

>  so no, the co-chairs aren’t free to vary the process this time.

...please see above, brother!

You know, it's just for this time...not sure that, part of the PDWG will
want to have a *Pré-Selection*
facility next time. They just have to (i) provide a justification in which
they must (ii) indicate which
*emergency* state/situation striked the use of the
 PDWG's Chair power.

Also, only one PDWG's Chair is sufficient to Varying
 the Process.

> Yes, last year was emergent due to the constraints imposed by the COVID
> emergency. We’ve begun to move from Pandemic phase to Endemic phase and
> we’ve had a year to plan for this situation. As such, no such emergency
> exists at this time.

Various argumentations exists when it comes to
identifying an emergency...and as said, the PDWG's
 are qualified as allowed by the PDP to justify their
 decision...

Afterwards, the PDWG will have the opportunity to
 verify the claimed emergency state...but nothing
into the actual version of the PDP can stop the execution of such a
powerful decision.

> The decision to vary the process is taken by a
> Working Group Chair.
> There must be an explanation about why the
> variance is needed.
> The review period, including the Last Call, shall
> not be less than four weeks.
> If there is consensus, the policy is approved and it
> must be presented at the next Public Policy Meeting."
>  https://afrinic.net/policy/manual#:~:text=3.6%C2%A0%
> 20Varying%20the,Public%20Policy%20Meeting.
>

> I suppose that technically, if a WG chair decides there’s an emergency,
> that meets the letter of the law, but the clear intent of the language is
> that the co-chair is expected to be able to explain himself and justify the
> emergency (and the resulting variance)

...sure! you got the point, brother :-)
Thanks!

> to the satisfaction of the working group.

That's not seem to be required by the PDP in CPM
(v.1.6) section 3.3.

The PDWG's Chairs are allowed to Varying this:

"The PDWG Chairs are chosen by the AFRINIC community during the Public
Policy Meeting and serve staggered two-year terms."
https://afrinic.net/policy/manual#:~:text=The%20PDWG%20Chairs%20are%20chosen%20by%20the%20AFRINIC%20community%20during%20the%20Public%20Policy%20Meeting%20and%20serve%20staggered%20two%2Dyear%20terms.

Shalom,
--sb.

--