[rpd] Summary of Proposal AFRINIC Number Resources Transfer Policy AFPUB-2020-GEN-006-DRAFT02

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 7 20:14:56 UTC 2022

> On Jan 5, 2022, at 13:25 , Murungi Daniel via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:
>
> Dear Serah,
>

> Help me understand - Is this a bad thing when you consider the fact that as an RIR, AFRINIC got the cigarette butt/scraps of global IP allocations?

Well first, your assumption isn’t entirely true. AFRINIC was the last RIR created and development of the internet in Africa has lagged behind most of the rest of the world. That’s simply fact of history and not some sort of slight for which the world owes Africa some form of recompense.

When you come late to the party, do you complain that the host’s selection of liquor has become limited?

> Are we not good stewards (AFRINIC + community) when we ensure that the meager precious number resources we were allocated are kept and used within the region?

When we do so in such a way that it prevents the influx of additional addresses into the region due to the interaction between our chosen policies and that of other regions that would be willing to trade addresses with AFRINIC, yes, we are in fact failing in our role as stewards.

> Doesn’t an influx of number resources into our region translate into increased IP based services and growth of the Internet within our region?

Indeed, it would. That’s why this policy is such a bad idea… It will prevent exactly such an event from occurring.