[rpd] Summary of Policy Proposal IPv4 Inter-RIR Resource Transfers Comprehensive Scope AFPUB-2019-IPv4-002-DRAFT07

PDWG Chair vincent at ngundi.me.ke
Wed Dec 8 15:21:09 UTC 2021

**

*Dear PDWG,*

*

The  summary of the elements that led to the PDWG Chairs decision for
the proposal IPv4 Inter-RIR Resource Transfers l Comprehensive Scope
AFPUB-2019-IPv4-002-DRAFT07 that was discussed during the AFRINIC-34
Public Policy Meeting is as follows:-

 1.

    Pending concern.  Suggest the period of time to be modified in the
    sections 5.7.2.2 and 5.7.2.3 from 16 months to 18 or 24 months

I do not favor coming to  consensus on a policy with a silly clock with
a plan to amend the clock later. I think we should come to a consensus
on a complete policy including timing. I propose 24 months, but I would
find 12 or 18 months acceptable.... If the community can’t come to
consensus on the timing, then you don’t have consensus on the policy
since the timing is part of the policy proposal.

 2.

    Pending concern. … I object to the policy so long as it contains the
    provision in the section 5.7.5, unless it is modified as follow:

The section 5.7.5 to be:AFRINIC may deny a registrant as the source of a
transfer only if one or more of the following applies:

 1.

    Clear evidence that the resources were fraudulently obtained.

 2.

    Registrants are not current on their AFRINIC fees.

 3.

    There is some question or dispute as to whether the registrant is
    the resource holder of record.

 4.

    There is an unresolved third-party claim to the registration.

If one of the above does not apply, then AFRINIC must approve the
registrant as source of the transfer and proceed unless there is a
problem with the recipient.

 3.

    Pending concern. ...If the African market is already in shortage,
    then why is there still a free pool? If there is a shortage, then
    bad policy is protecting the free pool from being issued to
    legitimate needs.

 4.

    Pending concern. ... Honestly this seems like a lot of steps just to
    transfer resources from one RIR to another. Since the region
    currently does not have one, you'd think this would solve problems
    but instead, this allows for greater AFRINIC interference in a
    supposedly interference-free transfer. This is still not addressed.
    Additionally, the staff themselves has pointed out glaring vague and
    open-ended definitions that should also be addressed. I would
    definitely support a policy that has less "interference" with RIR
    than the current one.

 5.

    Pending concern.Issues with the problem statement such as the
    mention of IPv4 market in the region

 6.

    Pending concern. In 5.7.2 there is no limit or requirement for
    source and this is negative for AFRINIC and we will kill AFRINIC
    with these transfers

 7.

    Pending concern. We have a small portion of the limited resources
    compared to other regions and we cannot accept such policy since the
    resources are already limited. I would Agree to bring more resources
    in the region via Legacy resources transfers into the region. I
    reject such policies to make resources leave the region.

The decision of PDWG Co-chairs is that no rough consensus has been
reached due to the number of valid concerns not yet addressed during the
online session and from the mailing list. The draft policy proposal,
therefore, goes back to the RPD mailing list for further discussion.

Regards,

Vincent Ngundi & Darwin Da Costa

AFRINIC PDWG CO-CHAIRS

*