[rpd] [members-discuss] Afrinic Court Updates

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Dec 1 23:52:02 UTC 2021

In message <03B8CEE3-23E6-4701-B2F5-24F548AA61E6 at delong.com>,
Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>Individual RIRs are monopolies unless they have an inter-RIR transfer

1) The issue of inter-RIR transfers is irrelevant.

2)  I think that it would be more accurate to say that whoever owns or
controls the DNS servers that are authoritative for the in-addr.arpa
domain is the "monopoly", and that the RIRs are merely the regional
subsidiaries therof.

3)  Where I am, the local water company is a so-called "natural" monopoly,
and I am not persuaded that this is a Bad Thing.  I would not like it if
every home had to provide hookups for multiple different sizes of water
pipes.

4) If anyone feels that the owner/operator of the DNS servers that are
authoritative for the in-addr.arpa domain/zone are operating an -illegal-
monopoly, i.e. one not sanctioned by law, they are free to sue those
folks, or that organization, in the U.S. under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.

Regards,
rfg