[rpd] New Version of Policy Proposal - Update of PDP (Draft-2) - AFPUB-2021-GEN-002-DRAFT02

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Nov 16 09:36:29 UTC 2021

Hi Paul,

I think you are assuming that the proposal will resolve all the organization problems, issues with the bylaws, Board, etc. and this is not the case.

We should make clear that the PDP is a very special process, based in roght consensus and this is turn based in the rought consensus definition in the IETF. That’s a basic principle of the RIRs and not accepting that will mean we need to change the complete RIR system.

The proposal is just including a short definition of consensus because I assume that the majority of the community is not really following IETF and even less having read and understood (which can’t happen if you don’t participate in IETF or other RIRs) the RFC7282.

Consensus can only be judged if we have good chairs to do that job. And because they are human they can fail, and that’s why we need an appeal process and even a recall process. So yes, it is not perfect, but there are way outs if something fails.

Consensus is slower than voting, but it is much more coherent and neutral. Consensus avoids manipulation by calling to tons of friends to support a vote. If we didn’t have consensus, the IETF standards, RIR policies, and so on will be terribly manipulated by the bigger stackeholders and the community will have nothing to do.

Regarding the chances of not reaching consensus, they are always there, but if there is no real need for a policy that’s not a problem. The board being able to make an urgent proposal is not to resolve that, it is to resolve really urgent and neccesary situation and this is already in the bylaws (in this RIR, not in all the others) and this part of the text just want to make sure that the community agree with that. Note the previous discussion that the AFRINIC bylaws are terribly written, so they should be fixed, but at the same time, if we agree that in case of emergency, there must be a wayout, we shall make explicit in the PDP that case.

Note that in other RIRs the bylaws say “nothing” about the PDP and is only the PDP itself the one that “ask” the organization (by means of the Board) to ratify and implement policies, to call for chair elections, lookup for urgent policies if needed, etc., etc. This is the way it should be. Complete separation of powers: a) Community and b) Organization/membership. Then this stupid fights about if we are encroaching the Board or not, will vanish – that’s why we don’t have such ridiculous fights in other RIRs!

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet