[rpd] New Version of Policy Proposal - Policy Compliance Dashboard (Draft-2) - AFPUB-2021-GEN-003-DRAFT02 (PDWG Chair)

Paul Hjul hjul.paul at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 08:06:10 UTC 2021

> Regarding: https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2021-gen-003-d2

I've noted quite a bit of unease with the proposal stemming from
information disclosures. I fear a lot of mess is created by conflating two
different issues and circumstances. It is probably easiest to use an
analogy of a bank. When I open a bank account my bank requires certain
information from me and that information must be kept up to date. When I
seek a loan I have to submit more information. Organizations divulge
business plans and very sensitive commercial information all the time when
seeking something from somebody. In order to apply for resources to be
allocated information needs to be disclosed. Unfortunately there seems to
be a culture of viewing all interactions with Afrinic as though they are
seeking resources and this is misguided.

The policy proposal doesn't reinforce the question of what information
ought to be maintained by Afrinic, only that a dashboard to empower members
and to reduce uncertainty of when the organization will initiate an
investigation.

I am of the view that consensus as to value in building such a dashboard
for use by members AND as a necessary but not sufficient predicate for
Afrinic to take certain steps can attain rough consensus if the
participants in the working group act in good faith.

I propose the following slight alteration to  sub-article 5:

Contractual non-compliance, such as unauthorized transfers, lack of payment
or document fraud, once confirmed, will cause the revocation of the
services and member closure, following the RSA.

to read:

Contractual non-compliance, such as unauthorized transfers, lack of payment
or document fraud, once investigated and confirmed, may cause the
revocation of the services and member closure in accordance with the RSA.
In determining whether to revoke services the Board shall after afford a
fair hearing and consider all relevant circumstances in good faith,
including whether the revocation is in the best interests of the members of
the organization.

Paul Hjul