[rpd] INTER-RIR TRANSFER POLICIES and the NUMBER RESOURCE SOCIETY

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Sep 24 04:30:05 UTC 2021

In message <CAEHShq_Kud9YgaLYg-dEsfYysS7BrhLzLZKrMJNb6f_sirSvLA at mail.gmail.com>
Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:

>Imagine how much IP resources would have been sent away from Africa if this

>was already in place. And for what ? To fill someone's pocket with money

>without any interest on African Internet Development.

I think that it might be of some value for someone to dig into the archives
and find any and all documents that might serve to shed light on this
simple but so far somewhat elusive question: Why exactly was AFRINIC
created in the first place?

I do suspect that one of the major motivations was to insure that Africans
would not be deprived of the number resources necessary to insure the further
development of the Internet in Africa, but I don't know that for a fact
because I have not seen the original justification documents for the creation
of AFRINIC. But I, for one, would certainly like to see those documents.

I doubt that I personally will have time to ferret out these original and
very relevant documents in the near future, but perhaps some other
enterprising historian will invest the time needed to seek out the
documents and then share those with all of us.

Regards,
rfg