[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Call for AFRINIC’s registry service migration to other RIRs

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 00:46:56 UTC 2021

There is one thing that is delaying a Inter-RIR Transfer Policy to pass
and that is the desperate and blind wish of it at all costs and at any
circumstances.

In the past years I have been in favor of RIRs to have it and so have
been in favour at some point here in AfriNic (after Phase 2 started of
course) during the discussion of one of the proposals. Suddenly a group
of people that had not been seen before appear and start to support one
of the proposals which was badly managed by previous Co-Chairs until the
point it got a "editorial change" to add a significant new point that
had never been discussed at the very last minute, something that is only
interesting to very few actors in this business.

In the face of the recent findings concerning potential mismanagement of
IPv4 resources by some members and the possibility that a lot of these
resources to be definitely transferred to another RIR with almost no
rules for need of justification and where they can be used for IP
leasing or any other wrong stuff that doesn't bring any advantaged to
African Internet ecosystem I am thinking if we should still be concerned
about having a Inter-RIR Transfer Policy at this moment with all that in
mind.

People claim that by not having a Inter-RIR Transfer Policy the region
is harmed, but it doesn't seem that at this point. It seems to me the
opposite: that by having a Inter-RIR Transfer Policy the region will
more damaged than benefited with the risk of all these controversy
resources being sent out of the region forever. For those who still
believe it is essential to have such policy as soon as possible I can
say to just conform with Intra-RIR possibilities and for new members
there is still resources available in AfriNic under Phase 2 for them to
start with.

For those who still believe Board can adopt policy by themselves
unilaterally for "urgent and noble reasons" they can't. Community never
gave this mandate for them.
And even for those who believe 11.4 of the Bylaws is valid do you really
believe that rushing in that knowing it would have to be approved in the
next PPM this would really pass ? Hardly ! Therefore that would only be
an ad-hoc thing to serve those who are willing to transfer resources out
of AfriNic, if they actually could because of time to implement it.

So just forget any Inter-RIR transfer for now.
As mentioned by Ronald F. Guilmette in another discussion:
"Consideration of the Resource Transfer Policy can be and should be
postponed until some later date when people are once again free to make
rational,independent, and fully informed decisions."

Best regards
Fernando