[rpd] Policy Proposal: in-region vs out-of-region use of resources, and restrictions thereon

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:04:46 UTC 2021

This is so clear, that it is still hard to understand how people can
keep defending that resources should be used out of the region, except
from those who profit from getting African resources to be sent out of
the continent.
There is enough amount of information giving reasons and impediments for
the resources to remain in the continent, but still there are people
that pretend that is not right, simply because they want that.

Sure any modification to the CPM to make it even more clear than it
already is applies to any resources and retrospectively. Policies in
general apply to all resources.

Although I think that at least 50% is a good start I don't really like
to have it in exact numbers because the main idea is that resources to
be used for development of Internet in the region and if necessary that
some minor part used out of the region fine as long it provides support
to the main stuff in the region. If had to have numbers I would say that
it should be even higher then that as suggest for example 75%/25% which
should be more than enough to back connectivity to Africa.

But it is important to highlight that 50% is not the same as majority.
*Majority is 50% + 1* which makes more sense. So if that would be the
exact rule turning that into numbers if a member holds a /22 then he
would only be able to use a /24 out of the region because /23 is NOT 50%
+ 1 of the /22 and /24 is the smaller allocation to be announced to the
Internet in general.

Regarding time I don't think that is the case because as it stands now
using most resources out of the region *is already forbidden*, therefore
if one is using it is already not complying to the rules and must stop
immediately. And even if one understands otherwise and if it is the same
someone it using ALL resources out of the region it should not be given
too much time to stop that given what that means to the context.

Regards
Fernando