[rpd] Last Call - RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT03.

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Fri Jul 23 20:08:50 UTC 2021

Hi Owen,

Using 154.73.32.0/22 as example, please clarify how the effect would be
any different if this object would suddenly disappear off of the whois
database?

route:          154.73.32.0/22
descr:          ROUTE-ULS1
origin:         AS327767
mnt-by:         ULTIMATELINUX-MNT
source:         AFRINIC # Filtered

Kind Regards,
Jaco

On 2021/07/23 21:50, Owen DeLong via RPD wrote:

> Sure,

> However, in the case of this specific policy which would allow RPKI to

> be weaponized by AFRINIC, I think it

> is irresponsible to hand a loaded howitzer to an irresponsible teenager.

> Owen

>> On Jul 22, 2021, at 08:20 , JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD

>> <rpd at afrinic.net <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net>> wrote:

>> Hi Owen,

>> I don’t have all the details in my hands to judge if all was done

>> correctly or not.

>> Even if I trust you, I think we should agree that this is a major

>> problem and not any specific policy.

>> So, we should find the way to resolve that in a wider way, including

>> a very clear and diligent responsivity from the board. Right now,

>> I’ve been waiting for responses to my two previous emails from 14 and

>> 15^th  July. I think one week is more than sufficient to respond.

>> Regards,

>> Jordi

>> @jordipalet

>> El 22/7/21 16:54, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com

>> <mailto:owen at delong.com>> escribió:

>>> Begin forwarded message:

>>> *From: *JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net

>>> <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net>>

>>> *Subject: Re: [rpd] Last Call - RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and

>>> Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT03.*

>>> *Date: *July 22, 2021 at 00:16:48 PDT

>>> *To: *"rpd at afrinic.net <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net>" <rpd at afrinic.net

>>> <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net>>

>>> <mailto:jordi.palet at consulintel.es>>

>>> Hi Owen,

>>> I don’t know, as many in the list, all the details and the real

>>> “true” (not one side, not the other), about the recent case.

>>> However, what I can say is that AFRINIC indicated in this case, that

>>> they will keep the resources in use for additional 3 months so

>>> customers aren’t impacted.

>> This was not true. Because of the way they modified whois, multiple

>> providers started rejecting LOAs as invalid and disconnecting

>> customers. As such, their superficial claim that they were preventing

>> customers from being impacted was not accurate.

>>> Following the policy text, this is exactly the same thing. If there

>>> is a disagreement and then a recovery, until the recovery is “final”

>>> (the 3 months I just mention) the resources will not be incorporated

>>> in the AS0.

>> Yes, but you are now assuming that AFRINIC will follow their own

>> rules. Had AFRINIC actually followed their own rules, they would not

>> have attempted to terminate Cloud Innovation’s membership and would

>> not have altered the WHOIS entries in question.

>>> The recent case, demonstrated that it works, because in case of a

>>> dispute, you can still ask the courts, in the worst case, to take a

>>> position.