[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 29 08:33:29 UTC 2021

I would go so far as to say that not only is global policy not a quick fix, it is neither quick and rarely a “fix”.

Instead, it is the only available tool for the community to govern the interaction between the IANA and the
RIRs and serves little or no purpose beyond that very limited scope. To the best of my knowledge, there
have been very few global policies that have come to fruition. The only two I can remember in the 15+
years I’ve been actively involved in internet number resource policy are the one regarding the last /8s.
and the one which took the IANA->RIR allocation unit for IPv6 to /12 (IIRC it had previously been /15).

Owen

> On Jun 29, 2021, at 01:10 , Mike Silber <silber.mike at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the important clarification Owen

> Global policy is very often misunderstood and seen as a “quick fix” when it is actually the opposite.

>> On 29 Jun 2021, at 09:30, Owen DeLong via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net>> wrote:

>>> 3. (not so simple) An organization which has multiple headquarters in multiple countries around the world and which has a significant global network

>>> infrastructure.

>>> ...it sounds as this interesting usecase

>>> requires a *global* policy [1]...i don't

>>> figure well a *regional* RIR fit to offer

>>> that kind of *global* service...i might be wrong

>>> though :-/ but still open to learn, fortunately.

>>> __