[rpd] Last Call - RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT03.

Job Snijders job at fastly.com
Mon Jun 14 11:12:24 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 09:01:03PM +0300, Noah wrote:

> While this was resolved within 10mins, were there measures put in place by

> the NCC as mitigation process to curb a repeat of the incident?

This problem lasted more than 70 minutes!

The point I am trying to make: once an RIR automatically creates AS0
ROAs for unallocated/unassigned space, any database incidents where the
registration status of a resource accidentally (and temporarily) lapses,
can result in blocklisting via AS0.

The risk of things going wrong at a future point in time versus the
perceived benefits of such ROAs don't align well.

The best measure to put in place to curb incidents is to not implement
this type of policy.

Kind regards,

Job