[rpd] Last Call - RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT03.

Amreesh Phokeer amreesh.phokeer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 19:34:24 UTC 2021

Hi Job,

Thanks for joining the talk. Your insights are welcome.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 6:36 PM Job Snijders via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:

> At the moment of writing, the AFRINIC Trust Anchor has excellent

> standing in the global community. If AFRINIC starts publishing RPKI

> ROAs for Unallocated or Unassigned space, unfortunately, I'll have to

> consider the AFRINIC RPKI Trust Anchor to be UNFIT FOR RELYING.

> Implementation of this proposal will put years of AFRINIC's work and

> investment in RPKI at risk, ... a pretty crazy situation! :-(

I fail to understand how the AFRINIC TA will be UNFIT FOR RELYING?
First, if it's a separate TAL...then those who think it is UNFIT can just
drop it.
Second, we should not forget that *ALL* RIRs are running a 0/0 TA, then my
questions are:
- Is that not introducing operational brittleness in the system?
- Is that not prone to human errors? typos, etc

yet, afaik, everyone is using the RIRs 0/0 TAs and bearing the inherent
risks, without saying UNFIT FOR RELYING.

--
Amreesh Phokeer