[rpd] Last Call - Abuse Contact Policy Update AFPUB-2018-GEN-001-DRAFT07.

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Tue Jun 8 04:58:19 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 08/06/2021 00:35, Mimi dy wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> Since the PDWG co-chairs announced the official start of the last call

> period for the *Abuse Contact Policy, *I find it essential to call out

> the community, so they become aware of the limitations of the proposed

> policy, which unfortunately, reached rough consensus.

> To some extent, some people might think that the proposed policy makes

> sense and can see potential in improving the service quality of AFRINIC,

> by providing functional abuse-c information, increasing accountability

> among resource-holders, offering an appropriate platform/ contact for

> complainants to submit their complaints and reducing the related

> expenditure.

Yes. I agree.

> Nonetheless, I simply do not agree with it, why?

That's ok.

> Because

> its pillars are poorly placed,

Where are they placed, and where would you rather place them and why?

> and more importantly, AFRINIC’s existing

> abuse contact information policy is sufficient and very well-designed.

> To emphasize and clarify my point of view, the existence of two channels

> or abuse contacts is highly efficient. The automated mailbox can manage

> recurrent and frequent complaints, by providing automatic solutions and

> direct answers already incorporated in their database. On the other

> hand, the personal communication contact can handle much more complex

> complaints, requiring human intervention to suggest solutions or further

> actions. Consequently, I am convinced that both channels are of extreme

> necessity in handling abuse complaints and providing victims with

> diverse ways to deal with unfortunate situations.

OK, so there can be 2 different contacts. fine.

> Also, we cannot deny

> that it saves AFRINIC’s efforts trying to create an abuse-c attribute

> all over again, and it prevents the members’ from wasting precious time

> developing useless policies,

which policies are useless is probably something we don't all agree on
yet. Do you plan to convince anybody that any particular policy (or
proposal) is useless? Please go ahead.

> that are only a duplicate of the CPM

> policies, and initiating the long procedures of approval and ratification.

luckily this process is almost complete ;-)

> I wish that, during this last call period, more members will contest the

> rough consensus that this policy reached, based on what I logically

> maintained above.

Personally, I think I haven't seen any convincing arguments yet.

Regards,
Frank